Vultr, high performance, SSD storage, 16 locations

Threat Level free beta

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mostly Hairless µC, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Mostly Hairless µC

Mostly Hairless µC Verwaltungsbeamte

If you've been following my Youtube channel you'll know I've been working on my own PC game, called Threat Level

Sidescroller Homebrew Part 4

I've now got the point where I'm happy to open a public beta to anyone who wants to test it and leave constructive feedback, or failing that just post a screen of their highest score :smile:. Here's the ReadMe:

Code:
    Threat Level 0.1b

Premise:
    Threat Level is a simple survival game. As time passes the threat level rises and the dynamically
    generated terrain will move faster and faster. The longer you survive the more points you score.

Scoring:
    For every second you survive you receive 100 points. Points are also awarded for destroying enemies and
    asteroids. This includes detonating the EMP. One point is subtracted, however, when firing your laser.
    This is to try and disuade you from spamming the laser button.

Weapons and power-ups:
    Your standard weapon is the red laser. It will destroy anything it hits, including the terrain to
    help smooth out the path ahead. The laser will 'overheat' when pressed repeatedly, so that there may
    be no more than 3 lasers on screen at any one time - try not to hammer the fire button too much :)
        The Buddy Ball power-up is a small metal sphere which orbits your ship.
    It will double your effective fire rate, but halve the power of your laser. The blue laser will not
    destroy enemies, and the green laser will not hit any asteroids. Both will still damage the terrain.
    You will lose your Buddy if you die, or if you detonate the EMP.
        Your EMP is charged by collecting 3 Battery power-ups. Each time you collect a battery your
    EMP meter in your HUD will increase by one third. When the EMP is fully charged you will hear a siren
    and the EMP icon will light on the HUD. Detonating the EMP will destroy all enemies and asteroids on
    screen, awarding you points for each, but also destroys the Buddy Ball if you have one. If you lose a
    shield while the EMP is fully charged the EMP meter will go down, and you will have to collect another
    battery to fully charge it again. Terrain in close proximity to your ship will also be destroyed by
    the EMP, so it is a great way for blasting through narrow gaps in the caverns.
        The shield icon will award you one shield, which will be displayed in the top left of the HUD
    control at the bottom of the screen. When you use your shield you will be immune to one laser strike or
    collision, which will then remove the shield. The shield will also fade over time, so if you are shielded
    make sure to collect more shield power-ups to top it up.
        Once you reach a threat level of 10 you will receive an extra life every 5 threat levels, up to
    a maximum of 3 lives. Lives are denoted as light bulbs on the HUD.
        Boost is great for small speed bursts to dodge approaching enemies and make last minute grabs for
    power-ups. Boost amount is displayed on the bottom HUD icon, and automatically recharges over time when it
    is not being used.

Requirements:
    This version of threat level has been tested on WinXP, Vista32/64 and Win7 64. Running the game on Vista
    will disable desktop managment and the Aero theme if enabled when run in windowed mode. DMS will be auto-
    matically re-enabled when the game is quit. Threat Level requires DirectX 9.0c to run and at least shader
    model 2 capable graphics hardware. To use a controller you need an XInput compatible device such as an Xbox
    360 controller. DirectInput devices will not work, although there are (untested) wrappers avaiable on the
    internet. You also need an available screen resolution of at least 1280x720. Threat Level has been tried
    on some laptops with varying success, and compatability is not guarenteed. A dual-core processor or higher
    is also recommended.
        Threat Level can be run in full screen by starting the game with f as a parameter,
    eg: ThreatLevel.exe f

Known Issues:
    There are a few known bugs yet to be ironed out. Full Screen mode does work, but will break when alt-tabbing
    or the game otherwise loses focus, and the game will have to be stopped with the task manager. Some graphics hardware
    does not support the use of textures with non-power of 2 dimensions, which will lead to odd stretched and garbled
    graphics. This is a limitation of the graphics card itself and there is currently no fix. Playing using the keyboard
    can be tricky as the game is designed to be played with a controller so for now, tough.

Suggestions and feedback through the usual channels please :)

Download the game here.

2. Refalm

Refalm rafalm is idot die Führung

Minecraft:
    Refalm
    Reminds me a bit of BioMetal, but less chaotic and Asian :smile:

I'll definitely check it out.

3. Kotsende Kat

Kotsende Kat Blop blop blop die Führung

Minecraft:
    Resdayn
    This reminds me of the good old SNES game Phalanx The Enforce Fighter A-144. As a homage to that game you should use that music until I've Japped out my own music. :smile:

4. Mostly Hairless µC

Use any music you like by overwriting what's in the assets/sound/music folder, the only condition is that it's the same format (for now)

5. Mostly Hairless µC

6. Refalm

Minecraft:
    Refalm
    It's really slow on my laptop :frowning:

There seems to be no hardware acceleration.

7. Mostly Hairless µC

Aye, myself and others have noticed it doesn't work well with ATI mobile chipsets. Does it work if you turn the shaders off in the options?

8. Refalm

Minecraft:
    Refalm
    lol wow, turning off the shaders made a big difference.

Also, I have a GeForce, I would never get an ATI videocard, the saturation is way too high on those things, as well as other problems.

9. Kotsende Kat

Minecraft:
    Resdayn
    Get an AMD videocard. Nvidia sucks. Also, what you say is bullshit. Just get an AMD.

10. J0ttem

J0ttem Beer in een pak Verwaltungsbeamte

Minecraft:
    J0ttem
  11. Mostly Hairless µC

Also, the internet disagrees - by almost 3:1 when it comes to processors

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

12. Kotsende Kat

Minecraft:
    Resdayn